My Private Practice Builder presents its Master Course,
Everything You Need to Know About Private Practice But Didn’t Know to Ask
Here’s everything you’ll learn when you enroll in the Master Course:
The Logistics You Need to Know to Run Your Private Practice (We’ll Dive Deep!)
1. I show you exactly how and where to get a business license.
2. Paying your taxes so you don’t get fined at the end of the year.
3. How a CPA can save you headaches and money.
4. Liability insurance – you don’t want to go without protection!
5. NPI Number – what it is, how to get one, and why you need to.
6. Property taxes and your office.
7. What a Professional Will is and why you need one.
8. The perks of joining a professional organization.
9. The low down on websites, including why you need one and how to get it.
10. How to track your finances so you don’t end up a stressed-out mess at the end of the year.
11. Managing your schedule so you stay sane.
Successfully Tackle Your Money Demons – Get Out of Your Own Way
1. Giving yourself permission to make money and charge what you’re worth. I hit you up with an awesome worksheet to help you figure out and manage all your money obstacles, including how to talk to clients about money without having a panic attack. (I’ll tell you exactly what to say!).
2. Setting your rates, including important information about how to manage sliding scales and low-fee spots so you don’t get into ethical trouble.
3. Handling no-show and late cancellation charges.
4. What you need to cover in your policies when it comes to your fees.
5. How to take payments from clients, including how to handle credit cards.
6. Important tips that will keep you legal.
7. A Super Important Tip that will help you avoid owing estimated taxes at the end of the quarter with no way to pay for them!
Understand Exactly What You Need in Your Forms
1. Office Policies and Informed Consent for Treatment – what to include and how to cover yourself ethically and legally.
2. Privacy Practices are a must.
3. Receipt of Privacy Practices.
4. Release of Information – how to do this so you don’t break confidentiality.
5. Client Information Form.
Find and Create an Awesome Office Space
1. Finding a space that’s right for you. I’ve given you all the details to look for!
2. Improvements you can ask your landlord for that will make it your dream office.
3. How to make it your signature space.
Establish Your Professional Identity
1. Create that ever elusive niche to help bring in clients. I’ve got you covered with a worksheet to help you figure this out.
2. Defining the type of clients you want to see so you know exactly what to ask for.
3. Defining your practice so people know which ideal clients to send your way.
4. How to determine what’s a “full-time practice” for you. I’ve even given you a calculator to help you figure it out.
5. Visual presentation matters.
6. Why ethics help to define your identity.
Clinical Considerations – Some Crucial Advice to Keep You Out of Trouble
1. How to get support and how not to get support (avoid a HIPAA violation!).
2. Handling client requests, like letters and evaluations, so you don’t blow it and get yourself into ethical and legal hot water.
3. CPS reports when you’re out there on your own. They’re hard.
4. Managing availability to clients so you’re not working 24/7.
5. HIPAA vs confidentiality and why you need to know this.
Issues Specific to Working with Children in Private Practice
1. Why you want to include both parents.
2. Why mixing therapy and evaluation roles is a fast track to a licensing complaint.
3. Custody recommendations.
1. Should you accept insurance in your private practice?
2. How to get on panels.
3. NPI Number -what it is, how to get one, and why you need to.
4. In-network vs out-of-network status.
5. How to find out if mental health coverage has been subcontracted, and what it means for your in-network status.
6. All the nitty gritty on how to bill insurance, including how much to bill, and how to avoid committing insurance fraud.
7. Deductibles, CoPays, and Coinsurance – what they are and how to handle them so you get paid.
8. How to manage no-show and late cancellation fees with insurance clients.
9. Why you need to get a copy of the client’s driver’s license.
10. Insurance and informed consent. How to help the client understand exactly what they are consenting to when they use their insurance.
Understand Electronic Health Records
1. What they are and why you need one (or do you?).
2. How to find a system that’s right for you.
1. Secure vs compliant and why it matters.
2. BAA – what the heck it is and why you’ll never be HIPAA compliant without one.
3. OOPS – how to avoid a HIPAA violation
Dealing with Attorneys So You Don’t Have a Panic Attack
1. Understanding their role.
2. How to avoid being intimidated and instead take charge.
3. How you can work collaboratively with them and get lots of referrals!
This course Is going to save you bucketsof time and anxiety.
Don't Waste Time Figuring It Out All On Your Own!
Some love from people who have taken the course!
Starting a private practice has been VERY stressful, due to having limited information and limited guidance. I was on the verge of giving up until I took Jennifer’s course “Everything you Need to Know About Private Practice”. Her information was organized, reader friendly, and jammed packed with NEEDED information. It’s amazing how learning information from an instructor who’s knowledgeable and passionate about helping others has fueled/motivated me to keep going. I am MORE than prepared to start my own private practice.
Jennifer’s course is a breath of fresh air for clinicians beginning to navigate the world of private practice. With a calming and reassuring presence, she presents an all-encompassing guide which left me feeling confident in my understanding of the many aspects involved in opening a practice. She discusses big-picture items such as establishing a niche, setting fees, and navigating insurance, and also goes into smaller details of issues such as credit card processing companies, BAAs, EHR, and a professional will. Her can-do attitude left me feeling confident and eager to begin this journey.
Taking the leap into private practice can be nerve-wracking. It’s hard to know where to start, what to cover and what you many be missing. Jennifer’s course provides a map to take away the anxiety and help you feel empowered to take your next steps. She walks you through making decisions about the parts you know to expect but may be overwhelmed by (should I accept insurance, how do I best manage billing) as well as making you aware of the many little things you might not know to prepare for. The format and structure provide a wealth of information in bite sized pieces so that you can spend more time on the parts that interest you and return at later stages of practice planning and her writing style uses humor and real talk to make even the dryer aspects of business accessible. After taking this course I feel both more practically prepared and more emotionally ready to begin practice on my own. Thanks for sharing your experience Jennifer!
I found Jennifer’s course to be brilliant, inspiring, relevant, intelligent, and a practical resource. It is very helpful for the overwhelmed. I am excited about what I can do with my own private practice. The guidance is straight forward and practical. It helped me to realize the possibility of a making money in a helping profession in a way that gave me renewed confidence to get out there and HANG MY SHINGLE. I wish Social Work programs would include this course as part of graduate school!
Jennifer’s course is incredibly helpful and thorough. It has helped me understand all of the important aspects of starting your own private practice. I can now feel confident that my practice will be authentic, successful, and fulfilling.
Jennifer’s course on how to start a private practice is everything you need in order to ease your mind and start your business! In making my way out of agency work and into the private practice world, I was uncertain whether I wanted to join someone else’s practice in order to learn the ropes or create my own. However, through Jennifer’s private practice builder, created from years of experience and wisdom, I feel so much more confident creating my own vision!